Intern placements with Church from Scratch in Southend on Sea, Essex, UK.
Church from Scratch is seeking committed and passionate people as interns for 8-12 months.
The right candidates will be instrumental in expanding and strengthening the CFS mission and community – working with the existing church; Shared Space social enterprise which we founded; and our community initiatives.
You will gain hands-on experience of grassroots community building in a church with 16 years expertise, working with marginalised communities. As you explore new approaches to Christian mission you will gain experience and skills which acts as a springboard for your future.
Contact Peter Dominey [email protected] with any questions.
And you are welcome to arrange a visit to discover more about the unique work of Church from Scratch and to explore this opportunity further.
Who you are.
Whilst no formal qualifications are required, this is a demanding role and the right candidate will ideally have a degree or abilities at that level. And you will demonstrate the following qualities to thrive:
- Jesus centered. He’s your hero. We can help you to grow in faith.
- Creative. We aren’t expecting you to be the next Da Vinci, but we do want someone who thinks outside the box and won’t be phased by our agile ways of gathering that have moved beyond weekly Sunday meetings.
- Adaptable. Life in CFS is full of the unexpected. To thrive, you will be able to adapt your plans to fit the demands of the day.
- A change-maker. We don’t just want someone who can think of great ideas and adapt quickly. A strong applicant will inspire and guide others.
- Collaborative. We don’t do church to the marginalised. We work to with people, expecting also to be changed ourselves. You’ll be radically collaborative and want share life with others.
- Socially astute. As an intern, not only will you love people, you will also be learning how communities flourish and grow. This includes the desire to invite community participation and learning the skills to manage conflict and behaviours.
Your development as an intern.
You will be supported in developmental experiences and in building a skill set around the opportunities and responsibilities of the role – helping you to become a reflective practitioner. And we will work with you in tailoring the intern experience to help you progress in your life and career goals. You will work with Peter Dominey (church leader) and the wider Church from Scratch and Shared Space staff and volunteer teams.
More about the intern opportunity.
There is a rolling start date, so we can work with the successful applicant to tailor an appropriate opportunity.
Whilst we don’t have the money to pay you, we can provide free accommodation and food. A successful applicant may wish to take on part-time work or fund-raise from their sending church and friends to support their personal costs.
The roll is for 30-40 hours a week and will include some weekend and evening working. We are used to fitting in with a wide range of people including ministerial college students and can adapt to that.
Final confirmation of appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and DBS check.
Who we are.
We are radically inclusive of marginalised groups and constantly seek new opportunities to reach out to those who both society, and at times the wider church, have neglected. We have a rich history of initiating innovative projects and communities within and beyond the Baptist world.
If the Immerse Programme might be for you…
If this possibility has excited , and you have any questions about the role or would like to make a preliminary visit, please get in touch.
Application is by sending a 1-2 page cover letter setting out your suitability for the role selected and also a CV of no more than 2 pages to Peter Dominey at [email protected]
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to come for interview or this can be by Skype if you live abroad.